Friday, September 17, 2010

I'll be at the San Gabriel Valley Comic Book Festival on Sunday

I'll be exhibiting at the 3rd Annual San Gabriel Valley Comic Book Festival this Sunday, Sept 19.

The Festival is put on by the Nuvein Foundation, for which I serve on the Board of Directors. Three years ago I suggested to the Board that we create our own comic book convention here in the San Gabriel Valley (East of Los Angeles). Now here we are holding our third Festival. We're actually back at our original location, the Cuban Club in El Monte, CA.

This year there are over 2 dozen creators attending, from the world of independent comic books, webcomics, animation, filmmaking and podcasting. There's also some book authors and fine artists exhibiting as well.

Myself, I'll have my catalog of comics, as well as the EL MUERTO DVD and buttons. I'm also busting out my new custom EL MUERTO SKETCH DOLLS! This assortment includes:

l to r: El Vivo (the evil Muerto), El Muerto, El Lobo Muerto (a special 2010 HALLOWEEN MUERTO MONSTER)

I previously sold some early prototypes of the EL MUERTO sketch dolls but these are the new colored versions. These dolls are hand drawn & colored by me, so each one is a unique hand-crafted original. It's like getting a 3 dimensional piece of art from me. 

I've also created some additional sketch dolls based on other comic book characters. In this assortment are character's created by comic artist Steve Ditko:
 l to r: "The !?", Spider-Man & The Creeper

And here's a one-of-a-kind collectible: An El Muerto Sketch Doll Double Pack: EL MUERTO vs. REV. JOHN HENRY UNICORN!


Rev. Unicorn is a character created by my friend Jim Lujan, a filmmaker of animated movies. Among Jim's many great cartoons are two starring John Henry Unicorn, the leader of the Church of the Unicorn! It's a totally wacked out idea, handled expertly by the tremendously talented Mr. Lujan, the Founder of Ghettomation. Jim immediately gave his blessing to this double pack. It was fun making the John Henry doll, and I hope a fan of both Jim and myself will find this worth adding to their collection!


The festival runs from 11am - 5pm, and admission is free. There will be panels on animation and comic book storyboarding, as well as an appearance by LA's freshest food van, FRESH FRIES!

Come out and support our local comic book convention!

1 comment:

Sherm said...

Holy crap -- those sketchdolls are the greatest! I can't wait to see 'em up close on Sunday at the SGV fest!