Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy 10 Year Anniversay to me!


10 years ago in February 1998, I published the first-ever EL MUERTO comic book!! A black & white photocopied comic book introducing the Aztec Zombie. The book recieved it's official debut at the Alternative Press Expo in San Jose, CA.

Here we are, 10 years later on the web, in comics, independent film and even a radio show! All this cause I wanted to create my own comic book character. So many people to thank, that's for sure! Family, friends, fellow artists and of course the Fans! And let's not forget the retailers, galleries, filmmakers, web designer, and many others who have all helped out in various ways.

This Tuesday, Feb. 19 on my radio show, PLANET COMIC BOOK RADIO, I'll be podcasting a Special King-Size El Muerto Anniversary Show! We have a great guest, Carlos Castellanos, the artist for the nationally-syndicated BALDO newspaper strip.


I'll also announce how you can win tickets for the EL MUERTO film screening at the Whittier Film Festival on Friday, March 7. And I'll also be talking about starting EL MUERTO 10 years ago and how the Dead Guy has taken me on the Liveliest ride of my life!

Of course, over the next 12 months here at Javzilla, I'll be sharing with you stories about creating EL MUERTO and all the adventures in publishing, conventions, art galleries, filmmaking and wherever else EL MUERTO has taken me. Plus I'll have news coming up in March about a Top Secret brand-new character I've created! One that will be seen in a Top Secret, brand-new publishing venture I'm starting with a good friend of mine! All I can tell you right now about the new comic is this:
Take RAMBO, BILLY JACK and DEATH WISH, cross it with ANIMAL FARM,DESTROYER DUCK and MR. A, and mix it with PLANET OF THE APES, HAWK & DOVE and THE PUNISHER!!! What we're gonna get is one personal, shoot-em-up, slam bang political hot-potato!!!

'Nuff said!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to Javier and El Muerto, Aztec Zombie comics!


I remember this book when it was just an ashcan in short pants!

El Muerto comics get better and better --- everyone should get the El Muerto movie DVD if only for the Hernandez/Mort Todd mini-comic collabo (but wait, there's more----you get a live action feature, too!).

I love seeing how, with each artistic collaboration, Jav achieves a whole new style to the El Muerto canon. Ted Seko and Raf Navarro did some amazing inks on the Muerto Manga stuff years ago.

In any case, good luck with the new work on the horizon. And may El Muerto become the new Mr. T of comics and never go away! ha ha!

best,

MICHAEL AUSHENKER
cartoonflophouse.com

Anonymous said...

Feliz Aniversario Javi!!
Sorry I haven't been around lately, but it's been crazy over here, man, I miss the boards...:(
Anyway, felicidades and thanks for creating such a great character!

Saludos!

Kuzeh