Sunday, July 13, 2008

'Rowdy' Roddy Piper is a COBRA agent?!

This is too dang cool not to blog about!



Apparently, Roddy Piper was made into an action figure for the G.I. Joe Real American Hero line!! This was released last year as an exclusive convention special. Only 1000 were made! Piper appeared at the convention to sign the figures. I have no idea how Hasbro came to approach wrestling icon Piper to become an agent of the international terrorist organization, COBRA, but how freakin' cool is that!! I know Sgt. Slaughter was part of the toy line back in the 80s, so I guess it was time to have another wrestler in the line!




Soon as I found out about this the other night, I jumped on eBay but was crushed to discover the figure is selling for over $200!! Man, I would so love to get one of these, but I ain't paying a couple of hundred bucks for one!



Piper, it goes without saying, is my favorite wrestlers. I used to watch him as kid back in the mid-70s, when he'd be wrestling in LA on the Spanish stations, waging war on the entire Guerrero Family! Then of course, in the 80s, when Vince McMahon was able to turn wrestling into a mainstream entertainment business, there was Roddy Piper battling against champ Hulk Hogan (and really, what would Hogan have been like if he didn't have such a superstar to fight against?). Piper brought wrestling right into the mainstream by feuding with Mr. T and kicking Cindy Lauper in the head on MTV!!!

Ah Roddy, you were the best!


2 comments:

Heavy-Duty said...

They really need to market this for retail. Piper was as big as Hogan and much bigger then Slaughter. Maybe they could offer it with a vehicle too, like Slaughter's mini-Tank. Limiting it to 1,000 just makes no sense.

Javier Hernandez said...

I agree, Heavy Duty. I would love to buy one of these Piper Cobra figures off the rack. Piper's in that rare handful of truly famous wrestlers. They would certainly be able to sell beyond their initial 1000.

Thanks for your comments.